The statistics for Traumatic Brain Injury are overwhelming. Preventable head injuries kill and disable far too many men, women and children each year.
- Approximately 1.4 million people sustain a TBI each year in the United States.
- In addition, 50,000 die and 235,000 are hospitalized.
- An estimated 5.3 million Americans, or 2% of the population, are currently living with disabilities resulting from Traumatic Brain Injury.
- Among children ages 0 to 14 years, TBI results in an estimated 2,685 deaths, 37,000 hospitalizations, and 435,000 emergency department visits.
- Traumatic Brain Injury costs our nation an estimated $56.3 billion annually.
The Brain Injury Ring, an informational resource for victims and families of TBI victims, reports the following brain injury statistics:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries kill more Americans under age 34 than all other diseases combined.
- Fatal head injuries occur an average of every 5 minutes.
- Permanent disability resulting from head trauma also occurs every 5 minutes.
- About 2,000 individuals per year end up in a permanent vegetative state due to head trauma.
- An estimated 51% of traumatic brain injuries result from motor vehicle collisions.
- The majority of severe brain injury survivors will face 5 to 10 years of rehabilitation and other medical services.
- The majority of TBI survivors are under the age of 30.
- Two-thirds of TBI survivors will require lifelong services.
- TBI victims are 3 times as likely to suffer an additional brain injury in the future. Victims who’ve suffered 2 brain injuries are 8 times as likely to suffer an additional brain injury. Traumatic brain injury is twice as prevalent in males. Males age 14 through 24 have the highest rate of injury.
- An estimated 1 million children sustain traumatic head injuries each year.
- An estimated 165,000 children are hospitalized each year due to a head injury.
- Traumatic Brain injury is the leading cause of death for children and young adults.
Learn more about Traumatic Brain Injury by visiting our Mechanisms of Injury page.
Contact a personal injury attorney at Goldblatt & Associates, P.C. to discuss your rights and your recovery. We serve accident injury victims in New York City, Bronx, Brooklyn, Westchester and Putnam Counties, Albany, Syracuse, Rochester and Buffalo. Contact us at toll free at 1-800-567-9888 or locally at 914-788-5000. We offer a free initial consultation, and receive no fee unless we are successful.